Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hampton Half Marathon

I recently ran the Hampton Half Marathon in Hampton, N.H. again this year--my sixth half marathon now. I ran this race last fall as well and finished in 2 hours. This year, I ran with three other Wicked Running Club memebers (see photo below taken just before the race). The course proved pretty again. I went out hoping to P.R. for the half, and instead had a challenging run and learned a valuable lesson.




Last year when trying to break the half I ran behind a pacer, someone the course has run at a specific pace (with a large sign with that pace on their back) so that people hoping to finish in a cetain time can run along and make it. The pacer last year went out too fast and I broke the 2 hours only after letting them pass me and catching them later in the race, saving my energy instead of buring out early on. This year, another pacer did this and while I was focusing on my own pace, the fact that a pacer who should have been behind me and was instead ahead of me played with my mind. As a result, I didn't check my pace and went out too fast for 3 miles resulting in the rest of the race feeling hard and finishing a little slower than I had hoped.

Yet, while not a PR, I had a great time--I saw two friends complete their first half marathons and had another ride along with me in the car. Further, she helped me remember that this was in face my 6th half-marathon!!! I hadn't even realized it at the time and had a lot to be proud of regardless of any pace or P.R. So, I am happy to report that yes, I have now run 6 half-marathons, numerous races ranging from a 5k to 20 miles, and one marathon with another one less than three weeks away. Plus, I watched friends smile through 13.2 miles and was reminded of why I run--because I love it. Yes, I love getting faster too, but no matter what even when I was first running and slower--I run because I can and because I smile when I do.



Oh, and I eat when I run too--it seems all of the professional photos of me were of me eating GU.

No comments: