Monday, April 13, 2009

6 Weeks to Go

With 1 week until the famed Boston marathon--Boston is now marathon city and those people I know running the race are all a buzz. I on the other hand have 6 weeks of training left until my big day. The good news is this means only 3 more "long runs" of over 14 miles.

I recovered from the 20 mile race and was back at it this past week logging 43 miles with 18 on Easter Sunday. Speedwork and tempo runs were great this week, but that 18-miler may have been one of my hardest runs yet--even harder than the 20 mile race! It felt like winter in Boston again with cold temperatures and a nasty wind that literally moved me sideways on multiple occasions (up to 40 mph, which is slightly faster than me).

For the 18 mile long run, I was out by myself for the first time in a while, as many of my "long run" pals are resting up for Boston or out running races. However, I was not alone when it counted. . . my husband agreed to run with me for the last 4 miles and man did I end up needing it. I was supposed to pick up the pace on these last 4 miles to get used to pushing harder well into a long race. I can say my body didn't feel like I had much left to give--my legs were screaming, my feet were burning, the gu (yes it is literally gu) I was eating tasted icky and was hard to swallow . . . and then I heard "you are okay, you can do this, and most importantly "I am proud of you." Off go the feet again. With still a lot of effort on my part, my husband pushed me and most importantly pulled me mentally and physically along those last 4 miles at a slightly faster pace than even needed (I managed to average 9:39 for the 18). We even hit a hill on the way back home for good measure (there is a hill at mile 16 and rolling hills from 16-20 in the marathon).

While my last post was about the split push of those who try to discourage you and those who chear you on--this long run proved the importance of the support team. Had I not been counting on joining my husband at mile 14, it would have been so much harder to push through the miles and I might not have made it--14 really does sound less daunting doesn't it. I'd like to think I would have pushed myself, but am glad I didn't have to find out.

Of course, support doesn't end after the run. Instead, for me it continued up the stairs (yes, I physically needed helping getting up both flights), prepped my ice bath (and my special magical heat sensitve CSI cup with hot tea) and sat by my side through the ice "treatment," and then wrapped me in blankets and rubbed my legs.

A true support that knows you knows when to just let you do your thing and then knows when you need the push or the pull to get you to your goal!

Yes, those are ice cubes in the tub! Yes, that is Otis waiting to eat the ice. And yes, that is chocolate milk in the background--it does a body good!



1 comment:

Alison P said...

Love your "best friend, Otis" sitting by the tub and waiting for his ice cubes, he's so CUTE! What a great hubby too, good for him and you to be there supporting you all the way!!!