Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Running Split

In running, splits often refer to divisions of a run. Runners often aim to run the second half of a work or race in the negative, meaning the second half was faster than the first. Splits show endurance, patience, stamina, and well a competitive edge when racing.

I think splits can often refer to other splits required by running. The ability for instance to artfully split one's time between running and other activities. For some this is work, family, other sports, or even sleep. Splits can be what running does to us--the split desire to push oneself as hard as seemingly possible versus the inertia required to even get going some days. And yet still, splits can be obstacles we face and what drives us simultaneously. The split messages from those around us--the encouraging support of fellow runners with similar drives versus the jealous friend who misses the time you now spend with the road, or even the cautious friend or love one who hears this running thing is hard on the body. (Heck if it were easy everyone would do it.)

I realize I am motivated by both sides of this last split--I am motivated to get out there and get going by the supportive ones-the running club or training partner that is often crucial. Yet, I also find myself driven by those who do not support me or who question whether I can or should run. It is in the second half of a long run, or at the crucial muscle burning lung gasping moment, when I think of those who challenge me or question my ability. I do it to spite them and in spite of them. I do it because both voices are in my head and I refuse to allow the challengers to win.