Tuesday, March 24, 2009

For the Love of Sewing and Running

This weekend was jam packed with both sewing and running activities. Saturday am, I enjoyed a slow and easy 9 mile run (I know, I never thought I would say that either, but after 19 miles last week, it was) I ran with the running group Saturday am with my watch turned off and and was reminded why I love running. We ran along the trail for the first time since December, when my foot crashed through the ice, and ran to the Ocean where we enjoyed watching spring waves crash along the shore. Even if it was 25 degrees, it was beautiful! After the run--an ice bath, yes 10 minutes in cold water with all the ice our freezer can produce. My dog, Otis, always looks so concerned when I first step in the cold water and let out a muffled scream, then he lays his head on the side of the tub until I can start to read my book and then he eats the ice out of the water;) Such a sweet boy!!! I swear it is always worth it and aids in fast muscle recovery way better than any icepack ever could.

Later Saturday, A friend and her friend came over and we took a sewing machine out of the box and literally talked about the basics of the machine and sewing. It was so much fun! Once the needle holes they stitch on the lined paper are as straight as the paper, we'll stick some material in the machine and get going for lesson 2! Proof that sewing and running go together--they brought me a gift card to the running store--thanks gals!

Sunday was a lesson in the work involved in putting on even a small race. I volunteered to help work the Salem 5K cross country race. The course is a ton of hills and rough surfaces and not a good idea for me before a marathon, hence the volunteering and not running. I helped pass out bags with numbers and shirts in them to those who had registered early and then read off peoples' numbers at the finish so their times could be recorded accurately. It was so much fun to watch the friends I have made through the Wicked Running Club cross the finish and chear each of them on.

Hopefully the reminder of how much pleasure running and sewing have given me will help drive me through this coming weekend's 20 mile race. I have my fingers crossed that the rain in the forecast will hold off until after the race.

No comments: