Sunday, May 3, 2009

Last Looonnnngggg Training Run!

This morning was the full out marathon test--at least 22 miles of testing (84%). I got up almost when I need to get up for the marathon, ate a breakfast I plan to eat that am (cliff bar, banana, coffee), wore the exact clothes (even socks) I plan to run in, started running at the time the race will start (8:03 AM), and drank and ate what I plan to during the marathon.

I met friends in Carlisle, Massachusetts, about 40 minutes away. It is a great small town from what I could see--it had a very quiet and quaint New England feel, with tons of hilly and winding roads, the traditional looking New England center of town and lots of woods and farms. Farms with HUGE beautiful homes! Apparently Carlisle is know if its large homes and densely wooded areas--there appear to be a number of horse and hiking trails. A lot of people were mountain biking the trails and either running or biking the roads(See I am not the only crazy person!). It was really fun running in a new place and I hit the trails for the first two miles by myself enjoying the tranquility and scenery. I saw the most beautiful yellow bird I have ever seen on the trail--my Grandmas would have both loved it!
These photos give a better idea of what Carlisle looks like:







The horses at several local farms really made me smile--they swish their tails at you sometimes:)


We ran along the roads and hit a big hill right at about when we will hit it during the marathon--we all survived just fine:) I even tackled some rolling hills throughout the course at a decent speed and feel well prepared for the few that face us on race day.

Now--we just need similar weather for race day! It was a perfect low-60s temp with only a slight breeze and overcast! PERFECT!!! Who knew I would call that perfect--but for logging 22 miles--it was!

The marathon is now 3 weeks from today! I will start backing off mileage as a taper with next weeks long run at just 15. Who knew 2 years ago that I would ever say just 15 miles--but it is true!

No comments: