Thursday, May 14, 2009

Now Single Digit Day Vows

And here we are. . .down to the single digit days before the Marathon on the 24th. Hard to imagine after signing up almost 6 months ago. I can't believe it. In nine days I hope to achieve a goal I never would have even set 2 years ago. I can remember what it felt like running along the brick in front of the Salem library the first time, a whopping mile from home, struggling to remain in a faster than walking motion for 20 minutes. Whew, and now, now I will remain in a steady motion for over 4 hours. Hard to imagine. Now, I even need to eat while running not just run so that I can eat. Now, I feel my heart elevate to a happy point rather than simply feel as if it might leap from my chest. Now, I feel muscles in my legs pushing me foward and faster rather than being self conscious about what others think of the girl breathing so hard. Now, I am thankful for the thickness of these legs because they are muscles and enable me. Now, after a long hard run I feel strong and powerful as well as tired. Now, on the days when I rest, hoping my body is healing itself in preparation, I feel antsy and eager. Now, I am ready, ready for whatever the day may bring.

I vow to enjoy this marathon. I vow to be ready for whatever might happen. I vow to declair a point where I will adjust my goals, slow down or comfortably charge on, listen to the crowd and let it motivate me, and be proud. I vow to be proud of where I have been and how far I have come. I vow to be thankful for all those who helped me get here--no matter how they helped. Whether through encouragement, running alongside me, questioning my sanity, questioning one's ability to run 26.2 miles, listening to me discuss terms like tempo and chaffing, or walking the dog so I can run--I am thankful. I thank those who ran in 8 degree weather or pouring rain, those who ran slower for me and those who pushed my pace. I mostly thank those who sacrificed any amount of time, energy, or sleep to help me reach these 4 hours of bliss. I even thank those who poured ice in the tub or who ate the ice out of the tub and gave me puppy kisses. Without you, I could not have made it this far and for you I vow to enjoy every second I am running my first marathon!

1 comment:

John M said...

MJ
I cant wait to hear how well your race goes!
I know you will do excellent!