Saturday, January 16, 2010

When All Else Fails, Mix It Up

So between some big changes in my personal life for the past month and next 5, as well as the sun only shining from 7AM - 4 PM in New England, my training needed tweeked. Last winter, I ran a lot of my runs during my lunch hour. This winter, my runs are longer and it is harder to ensure that I get out the door at lunch because work is much busier. So. . . I, yes non-morning person MJ, get up at 5:30, throw on my running clothes, walk the dog, grab some breakfast, and leave the house at 6:15 to take the train into the office. I toss my work clothes (yes, I triple check the night before that I have all items needed for appropriate work attire in my gym bag) into a locker, and hit the road for a morning run. I have done many of these runs along the Charles River in Boston as the sun is coming up over the ice and snow covered water. It is one of the most beautiful sights and there are numerous runners out enjoying the beauty. I usually run between 40-60 minutes and find myself almost meditating in the peacefulness of my run before work and before anything else can really get in the way. This time along the water is mine. Mine to think about these 6 months of independence, the day ahead, and even to simply forget about everything except the way my feet feel on the path and how my warm breath slices through the cold air. I never in my life thought I would move to Boston, become a runner, or become a morning person. But these three things have come together to make me happy and healthy!




P.S. Here is another photo from the snowshoe race. I am the third one in the powder blue jacket (my favorite running item ever!).

No comments: