Sunday, January 31, 2010

Testing the Temperatures

On Friday, I posted on Facebook a tempt to the weather gods. I asked if that was the best winter could do with temps in the single digits and trains canceled and delayed making getting to the running path near work more difficult, but not impossible. Single digits didn't keep me from getting my run on, even if it did take me a while to unthaw.

On Saturday, we met as a group for our first Spring Training long run with my Coach. It was a whopping 5 degrees with a wind chill of -16 and of course, we ran along the water making it even colder and windier. Needless to say, I went out prepared for my 105 minutes in the winter oasis. I dressed in my fabulous Icebreaker long underware (often used for skiing), my thickest running tights, a compression shirt, my base layer wicking shirt to help pull the sweat off and keep me dry, my magic running shirt that keeps sweat from feeling cold as it saturates your clothes, wool socks, my neck warmer, a ski cap, and my ski gloves even. I stayed pretty warm except for the little bit of my cheeks that were exposed to the wind and really enjoyed a great run with a friend. Plus, you feel pretty rocking kick ass when running in these elements!

No comments: